The Shippo Tracking API allows developers to receive live delivery information using shipment tracking numbers.
We considered it as an entry product – the implementation is simple, it can be built independent of existing system, and it has more general consumer appeal
As an entry product, we want to use it to establish a relationship with customers quickly. So we decide to launch the product for free – with minimal viable features. Our goal was to:
- Get as many users as possible – free was very attractive for both businesses and hobbyists
- Learn what users were building – so we can build features based on market feedback
- 2º goal: Gain users outside of fulfillment – explore opportunities outside of direct shippers
Since launch, Shippo acquired many great Tracking API customers. We also improved the product to include more features, and began to charge customers for the use of the API.
The business development team uses the Tracking API as a fast win, getting prospects give Shippo a try. A great experience with this product opens the door for us to sell deeper into the organization.
- Nordstrom via DSCO fulfillment
- Marley Spoon by Martha Stewart Living
Community etc etc